Ask any seasoned UK homeowner about their roof and they will gladly confirm that regular inspections are the key to avoiding costly roofing repairs, and with an annual inspection, any minor issues can be dealt with before they become major.
What Does a Roof Inspection Entail?
Any of the local roofing companies in Oxford would include the following in the inspection:
- Check for missing or damaged roof tiles – Missing roof tiles can cause the internal section of the roof to become damaged.
- Cleaning out & inspection of guttering and downpipes – A blockage would result in excess rainwater running down the exterior walls.
- Checking the flashing for signs of damage – The damaged section would be replaced.
- Soffit & Fascia inspection – These sections protect the roof line and the underside of the eaves.
- Chimney inspection – Wear and tear may require mortar repointing.
The roofing contractor would issue a detailed written report on the status of your roof, and any minor issues should be rectified there and then.
The best time of the year for a roof inspection is during the autumn months, before the harsh winter sets in, and the inspection should not take more than a couple of hours. If your guttering has seen better days, the roof inspection would be an ideal time to replace the guttering with PVC sections, and they never need repainting. Similarly, the fascia and soffit boards cam also be replaced with PVC lengths, and with a matching colour to the guttering, your roof will be an eye-pleasing feature.
If your roof has not been inspected lately, now is the perfect time to ask your local roofer to carry out an inspection.